Rebel Audio RebelAmp - Official Thread

The Signature is definitely more useful in more situations but I was not impressed with the sound of the Signature’s DAC/Amp combo. The Rebel amp is going to do a much better job making the most of your hifi headphones. I haven’t heard an Asgard 3 so I can’t actually comment on whether the Rebel will be a worthwhile upgrade.

https://www.jakecheriff.com/amps

4 Likes

I own both the Schiit Asgard 3 and the Rebel Audio RebelAmp headphone amplifiers. I have yet to find a headphone that sounds better out of the Asgard over the RebelAmp. The RebelAmp often is the top performer for many of my headphones whereas the Asgard usually performs just above it’s little $100 sibling Magni 3 plus. The move from an Asgard to RebelAmp is most definately an UPgrade.

5 Likes

Thanks to both of you that responded to my question. Now, however, I need to do more thinking because what I thought was likely to be a fairly straightforward answer,i.e., get the Signature because of its power and it’s 2-in-1 convenience, is not so clear. Nothing is simple, but the bright side is they are two good choices. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

3 Likes

While I’ve only heard other iFi products, you are comparing completely different form factors and design philosophies. The Rebel is old school huge and “bigger is better,” with everything seeming 3x larger than it needs for good measurements. It seems to keep all components operating without strain, and doesn’t run blazingly hot like most Class A amps. It’s a bit warm to the touch, versus the fry-eggs-hot Schiit “Continuity” Class-A-like amps.

In contrast, the Signature is a quite compact tech-driven design.

Take @hottyson seriously when he described the Rebel as:

Yet it’s true. The Rebel sounds different.

5 Likes

Thanks, and yes I understand the significant difference. All things being equal I would prefer to get the Signature because of its convenient size and it’s 2-in-1 amp/dac combo. But since they will be used for desktop use only, and no portability, sound is the most important thing to me, and that’s what makes it a tougher decision.

Funny, when I read your listing and then see my workstation, we have a few things in common!

The Ananda and the Grado RS2e (Grado’s in general behause off the xBass & 3D Funktion) harmonize very, very well with the iDSD signature, the SR2 sounds the most harmonious to me with the Questyle.

5 Likes

Lothar - You likely may not remember this but you were the person who, when I asked for advice some nine months or so ago on this Forum as to what amplifier to buy, suggested the Questyle CMA 400i - which I did purchase - and the Signature. At that time you said you felt comfortable making the suggestions because you also had the same headphones that I did. (That was partly because I purchased the Ibasso SR2 at your suggestion which I like very much). So I was contemplating purchasing the Signature but then I read all these good reviews about the Rebel Amplifier and hence my recently posted question. I currently have the same headphones I mentioned last time, and do anticipate sometime in the future purchasing the ZMF Aeolus. Do you have any opinion on the Signature versus the Rebel Amplifier, although I understand you may not be familiar with the latter? Thank you.

1 Like

Just received my senn 660s and as heard from others, these phones do not scale very well. Was using on my Rebel but actually like them better on my monoprice 887. They are a bit smoother with no loss in dynamics. That was very suprising. The rich sounding rebel didn’t do much out of the ordinary for these phones.
On the other hand the senn 6xx which scales nicely does make a very noticeable difference with the Rebel.

3 Likes

Ok my bad. The Rebel using the 660s does sound more spacious with slightly richer sound. The monoprice upper end is a bit smoother but does sound a bit flat and dry. So to my ears its a toss up. I will say that the 660s definitely doesn’t scale as well as my other phones.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sennheiser HD 660S - Official Discussion

LCD-5 and LCD-XC also Radiance all sound stunning out of the Rebelamp.

Been really enjoying these pairings for a while now.

Stunning amp for the price.

3 Likes

Looking for a used rebelamp for a friend buying his first amp ever. He just got a beyerdynamic headphone and is thinking about a rebelamp/darkvoice combo for starters.

Wise choices to get the RebelAmp solid state amp and Darkvoice tube amp. Those ultimate value headphone amplifiers should cover just about every base and not break the bank. I just completed hours of listening tonight with both of those amps. Moments of my listening tonight included Beyerdynamic DT880 comparisons to newer headphones.
Two more items would make your friends setup complete. A Schiit Bifrost 2 and eventually a planar magnetic headphone, then call it a day. I could live with just those items for the remainder of my days.

3 Likes

Why only for the price? This is an amp that I’d love to include in double blind testing across all price brackets. Human hearing has limits, whereby tweaking technicalities, increasing the price, or adding novel filters or processing doesn’t always add value.

I’d add a Loki. My DT 880 causes treble fatigue without EQ, but has become a regular in my rotation using the RebelAmp, Crack, or Darkvoice with EQ (plus an optional pad swap).

4 Likes

Second this. With the right pair of tubes the darkvoice or lafigaro (quieter) are incredible. I’ve peeped the insides - they are excellent circuits, much better than the price might lead you to think.

Curious if anyone has compared the Rebel to a Schiit Jotunheim of either generation.

1 Like

Yes, I have extensively compared the RebelAmp to both Schiit Jotunheim 1 and Jotunheim 2.
RebelAmp produces smooth, refined enveloping sound that I probably most always prefer over the Jotunheim 2. The one rare exception is with the Focal Elegia in which the RebelAmp sounds good but mellowed highs and blurred resolution puts it back a few steps, but still maintains a superior soundstage. Even thought the RebelAmp sounds better to me, it is not as powerful as the Schiit Jotunheim 2. However, the highs produced by the Jotunheim 2 are not as refined when compared to the exceedingly pleasing highs reproduced through the RebelAmp. The overall presentation of the Jotunheim 2 is bright and lively for one searching for airy but high energy performance. The RebelAmp is smooth yet able to still retain clarity, able to transport one away from reality and inject one into the realm of music with increased euphoric and holographic experiences.

The Schiit Jotunheim 1 is inferior to both of the others as should be expected. Still, the Jotunheim 1 is the amplifier that I suggest for someone that is going to buy some hard to drive planar magnetic headphones like the HE6SE V2 but was thinking of purchasing a $100 amp, which is just not going to do the job. It can be found for as little as $200 in the used market. Yes, the Jotunheim 1 glare in the high frequencies is real. However, this glare is not as prominent in many of the planar magnetic headphones. And, with some under $100 headphones it can sometimes bring some vigor and life to ones that have dulled highs. Listeners can still expect an open lively present soundstage, rounded guitar tones come alive and headbangers can have a party. One has to keep in mind that during it’s time, people were paying $400 for it and were very happy with it.

4 Likes

Something else to note is I currently have the cayin iha-6 and rebelamp and when a/b’ing them with lcd-5 when I initially plug it in to the cayin iha-6 via a xlr cable the bass hits hard for split second then loses some of initial dynamics.
This doesn’t happen with the rebelamp its stays punchy all the time.
Mogwai SE also does not do this.
Would this have something to do with the internal power supply not being able to give enough current?
Only noticed this while a/b’ing otherwise probably wouldn’t have noticed.

1 Like

Are you plugging in with the volume up and music playing? If so you are likely experiencing a power surge when the headphones complete the circuit. I rigorously avoid this out of concern over potential damage or accelerated wear-and-tear on the components. I always, always, always turn the amp volume down to 0 before swapping cables. Even then, some amps make popping noises if you wear headphones while swapping the cable.

If it hits hard only in simpler passages I’d focus on the power supply or the limitations of the amp. When an amp has power supply weaknesses I typically notice sag only in loud, complex, or bassy musical passages.

4 Likes

I have never ever in all my years of listening to headphones lowered the volume of the source before plugging in the headphones.
I have never met or know anyone who does this or suggested I do this.
If what your saying is actually true I myself and everyone I know must have been very lucky not to ever damage anything.
Slightly sceptical about this as the manuals would warn about doing this surely. Companies wouldn’t want there products having bad reputation.

Never experienced this either

I think this is what I may be experiencing.

1 Like

Burson audio user guide (see p. 8). Burson Composer 3X Performance User Manual V1.6.pdf - Google Drive

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Before I ever adopted this practice with headphone amps, I was scolded in stores for plugging electric guitars into amps with the volume up. TRS/TRRS plugs momentarily short out, while XLR connect the ground and live wires simultaneously.

4 Likes