The buying experience Thread good or bad

So, fun thing. I found this on adorama today:

I returned mine because the right cup died. Is it now up there to be purchased with one cup not working?

If I re-buy this, will hifiman fix it for me? Cause, at $309, it’s kind of a no-brainer?

Hifiman would probably fix it for you… most likely just replace it… though I’m not sure how that would work exactly with a this version. I’ve registered both the HE6se and HE560 v4 that I bought through Adorama with HFM. They are an authorized dealer ( I checked before I bought😉)

1 Like

HiFiMan: Just walk away. All the same.

2 Likes

I like the he6se. It just died during use.

I hear you. I have 4 HFM and I can’t say that I’d recommend them. Though I do love my Arya, if it dies (again), I won’t be replacing it. I’d never buy a higher end HFM knowing what I know now.

3 Likes

I concluded their technology has a fatal flaw and self-destructs. Achilles’ heel. Boxer with a glass jaw. Their strength is delicacy and nuance, but they send thousands of electrical pulses through a thin mesh every second to achieve this. With so many early deaths over so many years, I don’t think they can fix it. Their many new models just disguise the issue.

4 Likes

Yes, I would have to agree. I used to chalk qc issues with HFM up to abuse (high volume listening) or just normal failure rate. Now I’ve experienced it myself. I took very good care of them and pffft!!! after less than a year. Even through the mesh I’m pretty sure I could see the cracks people talk about. The whole thing was dark tiny lines going everywhere. I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to remove the mesh because they were under warranty but now I that have a new one I can see the difference better… it’s all bright shiny silver. Funny, at 50 you’d think I would have evolved beyond my 15 year old self. As in… everyone says “Don’t go down that road, there’s bad :poop: that way!!!” Me… “ Maybe for you, it’ll be different for me” :rofl: :man_shrugging: Maybe my new replacement set is the special kind that lasts a verrrry long time. As a $ 1,600 dollar headphone should. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Here’s a photo of my cracked up and dead HE-560 driver:

It lasted a little more than a year, and I never listen above 75 to 80 dB (rarely that high).

3 Likes

So true. And it’s all about making those experiences. :+1:

1 Like

Ponders Maybe burning them in for hundreds of hours was not a good plan for longevity? :wink:

1 Like

It’s the constant push and pull lol. I must burn in but if I burn in, what happens then?

1 Like

I recently sold a mini loki to @Zer0. Excellent sale and communication. Just wanted to post a positive experience. Thanks

5 Likes

I confirm my purchase. Everything has been pleasant and great. Friendly person too! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Ugh…How long had you had them?

1 Like

Not 30 days. I returned them within the standard return window. They died when I had just gotten in the a90 and a 100 watt per channel speaker amp to try with them. The full story is on various early posts of mine. Right cup stopped playing while on the a90.

I also want to say: Resolve says they have a lot of slam. My experience says they have a lot of slam for an open back planar. Which is to say, not that much. And I am curious about that discrepancy.

I’ve had my HE6se V1 for a couple of years, but honestly, they spend most of their time hibernating in a Pelican type case. I like them, but have heard some folks experiencing problems. I had to replace the pads early on from a tear on the pad seam. They had been barely used. QC issue for sure, but I just installed a set of Dekonis and called it a day.

Glad you were able to get your damaged headphones returned within the return window.

I listened to my Ether CX (drop) last night for a few hours on the Kenzie. They sure sound nice. I hope you’re happy with the set you ordered.

I think it’s really tough to gauge to specific characteristics of a headphone from any single reviewer. Our perceptions are so different. Great slam to me, could be meh to you, and vice a versa. I don’t own a set, but the ZMF Eikon is supposed to have a lot of slam. But it’s not a planar either…

3 Likes

These are interesting to me. I am writing a full impressions post in the near future. They are pretty light on slam to me. The LCD-XC had more quantity. The CX might be the most intriguing headphone I have heard. More when I figure it out. I have only had a few hours of head time with them.

I also have the dt 177x go fighting for head time at the moment. Very different from each other.

Yeah, I agree. But the best reviewers are so spectacularly consistent, like Resolve and Josh Valour, that I can calibrate to them pretty well once I have heard some of the same headphones that they have reviewed. Zeos is all over the place, but I can often trust him for the practical aspects. Particularly with amps/dacs. Never sound though. One of the reasons I joined this community and participate is nearly all the reviewers I found to be consistent are here.

My Zen IEM isn’t planar yet it has all the planarness I desire. I am betting if I step into celestee/clear/eikon and up territory, I will get DD clarity that I hear on the cheapest planars. I am not getting that on the DDs I have tried.

The eikon and verite closed have long been on my list. But, given my practical needs, a crazy expensive IEM is probably a better choice.

Anywho, we all have a journey. Just have to go have our own journey and not expect it to be like anyone else’s.

1 Like

Wanted to post positive selling experience with @rollinbr in regards to Auris Nirvana. Great communication, no issues. Thanks

3 Likes

I did buy the Auris Audio Nirvana amp from Roikyou. Communication was outstanding and he went above and beyond with the shipping. Amp was packed in original boxes plus a 3rd box from UPS. Item arrived safely and I’m more than happy with my purchase. Listening to some R.E.M. currently…

4 Likes

I received this today, but I’m pretty disappointed.

After exchanging emails with Justin to verify that I’d get the Black Box with the Load Resistors as the item is described (after being shown by another forum member that they don’t always include them), I opened it up just to verify that he did indeed install them. But, he didn’t.

It’s a bummer because specifically requested them via email (even though the website listing description had load resistors as part of the Black Box).

Screenshot of the listing:

4 Likes