New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

Thanks,

Other websites have strong opinion one way or the other, and I am a moderator at a audio website that covers the wide spectrum on audio and I moderate the Headphone Mania circle…laid back and open to all of the various types of headphones and gear…too many sites have ‘axes’ to grind and its good to see the postive attitude here…

Alex

3 Likes

Yes but I have not had much time for the site yet, work in progress :slight_smile:

Hi Speedster! Fellow new guy here. Been an audiophile since 70’s and AV tech since 80’s. Discovered this forum recently. I read Headfi for a year or so(not a member) and bought 2 headphones for the field, Audio Technica ATH50X and Beyer DT990’s. Torq( in who’s name I trust) caught my eye on this forum and people are very nice. I’m in watch and learn land. Welcome.

3 Likes

Welcome @lost33!

You notched out clean?

Yeah. After looking at the tips on my IEMs

1 Like

Eeeeuuuu!!!

Well, I admit I went low on this one. Probably because I was talking to my reprobate 91 year old Father today at lunch. He was looking at his whole grain cereal and prunes, and started to imagine a prune-eating contest for halftime entertainment. Possibly with judging the day after.

On the other paw, after you go through the fora here (I’m certain that fora is the proper plural of forum), you will find certain areas in which I have encouraged people to, perhaps, think unclean thoughts. Like my posts about headphone materials, and my attempt to pose a question about headphone choice

Of course, clean in these cases is entirely in the mind of the reader.

7 Likes

Yes, yes Flora, fauna, one igloo two igli… Lol​:grin:Hang in there dad! And son.:smile:

1 Like

I especially enjoy your posts because of the level of frankness and sincerity, for what it’s worth.

3 Likes

Yaap. And humor and knowledge… Well humor any way.:smile:

1 Like

Well, when you don’t choose to have the budget to bring forth valuable reviews, you go for the punchlines. I do enjoy doing the occasional serious review, with the exception of when TPTB here sent me an LCD-2 Closed Back that I really didn’t like, except on very limited content. Did not realize how hard it can be to write a review of something that you don’t actively hate, but are, in truth, very indifferent to.

2 Likes

Interesting. I presumed with your knowledge and electrostatic headphones it would be easy to do a different sound article. And brief comparison of your headphones in reference to a known standard.

2 Likes

I do appreciate the time people take to review products on here. It’s not easy to give a practical opinion on something that is so emotionally based such as listening to music. Especially when our primary measurements are done through our ears!

I’m looking forward to the expansion of this forum. It’s a friendly place to Not only get great information, but a good laugh from time to time. We’ve had a nice influx of good people recently and I’m sure more of the like will be joining.

I’ll try and leave impressions of my future audio purchases. In the least I can snap some pics’.

3 Likes

I think it’s easy to review something you like. And something you really dislike. It’s not hard to do a quick review of a cheap IEM if you only sometimes listen to IEMs and are not, like @antdroid so expert on them that people will really pay attention to what sub $35 item you are describing.

I listen to old STAX electrostatics, and Sennheiser HD-580s and HD-6xx. HiFiman HE 560 Planars, Grados, both entry level and RS1e. And a few other things. I have not, in many years, listened to closed-back headphones, and found that the LCD-2’s created very strange reflections, particularly when paired with recordings in live rooms. It felt like I was sitting in two rooms at once, and I did not like it.

It’s not knowledge, and not reference equipment, although I’m sure that helps. It’s closing your eyes and listening with your Mark 1 human ears. I did learn something, at least with respect to those phones. And I learned to respect the obligation that goes with getting something to review in our community program.

I found, with those - and I certainly hope NOT with other closed backs - that the more manufactured - the less real - the sound was, the better the listening experience. Tubular bells, yes. Classical guitar recorded in a stone Spanish Church, no.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @FLY1NGSQU1RR3L.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Speedster.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @lost33. Looks like you’ve plenty of experience to share. It’s great to learn from the more experienced members. Everyone has something to bring and it’s a great place here.

1 Like

So where is a good place to start posting listening and gear experiences? Just start a thread in the General Headphone Discussion group? Also is it ok to post links to other sites for information, not to sell stuff ?

Alex

2 Likes

Most headphone and accessory models have their own official thread. So if you want to post about your experience of a specific model just search for the thread. If the thread doesn’t exist let a moderator know to start one.

Here are some other fun threads to get started in:

7 Likes